Dr. Azad Moopen
Dr. Azad Moopen MBBS, MD, DTCD
Chairman & Managing Director – Aster DM Healthcare
Dr. Azad Moopen is a Physician-turned Entrepreneur / Philanthropist. He passed his MBBS with Gold Medal and MD from the Government Medical College, Calicut and did his DTCD from Delhi University, India. In 1987, he relocated to Dubai.
In the last 3 decades, Dr. Moopen has built the largest network of healthcare facilities with of over 290 establishments consisting of Hospitals, Clinics & Pharmacies in the Middle East and India. Starting from a single doctor practice in Dubai, he has taken Aster DM Healthcare a long way through its brands ASTER, MEDCARE, ACCESS, Aster MIMS, DM-WIMS. Aster DM Healthcare employs around 13,500 people across Middle East and India, including 1,500 doctors and 3500 nurses, touching the lives of 20 million patients a year.
The Aster MIMS Hospitals in North Kerala, DM WIMS Medical College in Wayanad and Aster Medcity at Kochi are few of the major institutions he has established in India.
Dr. Moopen has earmarked 20% of his personal wealth for Philanthropic activities helping social changes, and uplifting the poor. Dr. Moopen’s Foundation focuses on Philanthropy in Healthcare through various routes in GCC, India, Africa, Afghanistan and Philippines. Some of the ongoing Not-For-Profit activities of the Foundation are:
- Stand-alone Dialysis Centres in Kerala for the underprivileged
- Early Cancer Screening Centres in India.
- Free Paediatric Cardiac Surgery Programmes in India, Philippines & Afghanistan.
- Support for expensive Treatments of underprivileged people – India /Africa
- Village Adoptions and Local Empowerment Programme for Women & Children – India
- Health Education & Road Safety Awareness Campaigns – GCC & India
- Runs a Special Needs School at Kalpakanchery, Kerala, India
Awards & Recognitions :-
- ‘Padma Shri’, the 4th highest civilian award by the Government of India, received from the President of India (in 2011), recognizing his social services.
- ‘Pravasi Bharatiya Samman’ by the Government of India, received from the President of India (in 2010), honouring his remarkable contributions to the Indian Diaspora.
- ‘Arab Health Award’ (in 2010), received from the Arab Health Forum, for his outstanding contributions to the Middle East healthcare industry.
- ‘Best Doctor Award’ (in 2009) by the Government of Kerala, India.
- Forbes Magazine – Top 10 Indian Leaders in the UAE / Listed in Billionaires of the World.
He is the Director of ‘NORKA Roots’ (Non-Resident Keralite Affairs) and Director of KSIDC (Kerala State Industrial Development Corporation) under the Government of Kerala. He is also the Governing Council Member of KUHAS (Kerala University for Health and Allied Sciences) and Vice Chairman of SAFI (Social Advancement Foundation of India) and the Founder President of AKMG (All Kerala Medical Graduates Association, UAE)